Wine capsules: the advantages of PET-G-based solutions.
Effegidi manufactures laminates for aluminum capsules intended for wine bottles.
Wine capsules are intended to prevent the cork from drying out and prevent air from entering the bottle.
At Effegidi, we offer green solutions based on PET-G, this is to enable sustainable use of the tools by preferring recyclable and compostable materials that perform well and are less harmful to the environment.
The use of PET-G, we have introduced in recent years, replacing traditional PVC. In this way, we have strengthened our commitment to environmental issues, choosing an even more sustainable material without compromising product quality. The use of this material can be beneficial especially for those companies that seek to respect the environment and communicate their green commitment externally.
What is PET-G? What are the differences between PET-G and PVC?
PET-G is a clear polyethylene terephthalate capoliester, whose G stands for “modified glycol,” which is added to the composition of the material (PET) during the polymerization step.
The result is a filament that is much clearer than PET, more durable and easier to use.
There are numerous advantages and differences of PET-G compared with PVC:
- It is odorless and non-toxic: PET-G is completely odorless and does not give off any special odors during the printing process. In addition, it is non-toxic, and as such, suitable for use in food packaging. In contrast, PVC giving off odor and having partial toxicity is not suitable for food packaging.
- Low shrinkage rate and thermal stability: as PET-G cools, it maintains measurements faithfully and is ideal for large prints. PVC also has good temperature resistance, and in particular, is found to be very resistant to fire.
- High mechanical strength and excellent flexibility: PET-G has excellent physical and mechanical properties due to an excellent coefficient of adhesion between layers. We are talking about a hard, extremely strong and flexible material that is ideal for being subjected to mechanical stress and for obtaining strong and long-lasting prints. PVC is a hard material with fair mechanical stiffness that loses as temperature increases resisting up to max 60°C.
- High chemical resistance: PET-G turns out to be extremely resistant to the action of chemicals, acids and alkalis. Typically PET-G is translucent, which gives the object a glossy surface finish. In this case, PVC, too, has excellent chemical stability and acid resistance characteristics.
- High impact resistance: PET-G has high impact resistance, making it the ideal material for anything that moves. PVC, on the other hand, has lower impact resistance.
- It is recyclable: PET-G can be recycled without causing environmental pollution. PVC turns out to be difficult to dispose of because it could generate dioxin emissions in the recycling stages.
- Customizable: it is a material that lends itself to all kinds of customization can, in fact, be laminated or painted according to customer requirements and customized in diameter, heights, colors, materials, prints and opening systems. PVC, too, lends itself to customization.
Why at Effegidi do we prefer the use of PET-G over PVC?
The preference of a material like PET-G over PVC stems from the idea of strengthening our commitment to the environment by limiting the toxicity and pollution of the materials we use for our products.
We prefer fully recyclable materials that guarantee our customers a high quality and durable product.
If you need more information about this area and would like to learn about Effegidi’s solutions for wine capsules, please contact us at the following contacts:
Tel: +39 0521 319311